Lebanon’s entire government resigns after deadly Beirut explosion

DY365
DY365
Published: August 10,2020 11:02 PM
DY365

Story highlights

August 10, 2020: Lebanon's Prime Minister Hassan Diab and the country's entire government have resigned after the deadly Beirut blast that killed at least 160 people.

August 10, 2020: Lebanon's Prime Minister Hassan Diab and the country's entire government have resigned after the deadly Beirut blast that killed at least 160 people.





In a brief televised speech, Prime Minister Hassan Diab said this morning that he is taking "a step back" so he can stand with the people "and fight the battle for change alongside them".



"I declare today the resignation of this government. May God protect Lebanon," he said, repeating the last phrase three times.





His entire cabinet had resigned a brief while earlier.



Diab blamed corrupt politicians who preceded him for the "earthquake" that has hit Lebanon.



"They (political class) should have been ashamed of themselves because their corruption is what has led to this disaster that had been hidden for seven years," he added.





Reportedly, demonstrators had demanded political change after the explosion in Beirut killed more than 160 people and injured around 6,000 last week.