Facebook blocks Kisan Ekta Morcha account, restores it after widespread outrage

DY365
DY365
Published: December 21,2020 11:08 AM
DY365

Story highlights

December 21, 2020: Facebook on Sunday evening restored the page of Kisan Ekta Morcha that has been sharing updates on the farmers’ protest against the Centre’s farm laws after having deleted it a few

December 21, 2020: Facebook on Sunday evening restored the page of Kisan Ekta Morcha that has been sharing updates on the farmers’ protest against the Centre’s farm laws after having deleted it a few hours earlier. It was not immediately clear for how long the page had been taken.



A photo shared by the group on Twitter at 7.18 pm showed that the Facebook page had been unpublished because Kisan Ekta Morcha was against Facebook’s “community standards on spam”.



“This is what they can do when people raise their voices,” Kisan Ekta Morcha said on Twitter. “When they can’t beat us ideologically.”



According to the demonstrating groups, the curbs came just after a live broadcast by Swaraj India Chief Yogendra Yadav, who is one of the leaders of the protest, where he announced that the farmers will take part in an indefinite, relay hunger strike starting Monday, when the group got a notification that the page had been unpublished.





The news sparked outrage on Twitter.



“As an immediate ask and at the very least Facebook is expected to issue a detailed statement on how and why was the page of Kisan Ekta Manch unpublished,” said the Internet Freedom Foundation in a tweet. “Second, it needs to provide a public commitment for a transparent human rights review as provided in the United States.”







Just before 10 pm, social media users noted that the page had been restored.