Guwahati: 70 COVID-19 cases reported in Raj Bhavan

DY365
DY365
Published: July 20,2020 03:08 PM
DY365

Story highlights

July 20, 2020: Seventy COVID-19 cases have been reported from Raj Bhavan in Guwahati, already declared a containment zone, an official said on Sunday.

July 20, 2020: Seventy COVID-19 cases have been reported from Raj Bhavan in Guwahati, already declared a containment zone, an official said on Sunday.



Of the 70 cases, 27 were detected Saturday night and the rest tested positive since July 1, the Raj Bhavan official said.



The entire Raj Bhavan campus was declared a containment zone on July 4 after two staff members of the governor''s office tested positive.



Governor Jagadish Mukhi, his wife Prem Mukhi and 176 employees including security personnel deployed at Raj Bhavan and their family members were tested on July 1 after two Personal Security Officers had earlier tested positive.



Among those tested on July 1, two staff members were found positive while the governor and his wife tested negative.



Later, the Commissioner and Secretary to the Governor, Meenakshi Sundaram, who lives outside the Raj Bhavan campus, also tested positive and also his wife and mother.



Kamrup Metropolitan District Deputy Commissioner Biswajit Pegu had declared the entire Raj Bhavan campus and its surrounding areas as containment zone and the area has been sealed since then.



Meanwhile, the Gauhati Medical College Hospital (GMCH) Superintendent Dr Abhijeet Sharma has tested positive for COVID-19. Swab samples of other doctors and nurses who came in contact with him are being tested, a senior doctor said.